Saturday, August 1, 2009

The greatest commandment

Hey there! Not a lot of diving the past week, it's been so rainy & hot & muggy here, makes it hard to get out. Did have a great find of books & neat things from bookstore. Another big bag of dog food. Our dog is small, this would probably feed her for 6 months! We are able to find enough to supplement us so we only need about $200 a month for groceries. For a family of 4, I think that's really good.

We've been through a lot over the past few months. Without wanting to go into much detail, we ended up in a situation where we were left feeling unloved by our church family. It's strange that it took that to truly start caring for others. It took unforgiveness to teach me how to forgive and love unconditionally. This has possibly been the hardest 6 months of our lives, but I'm thankful for where God is leading me as we go through it.

On a related note, during this time, God had been working on my attitude toward gays. I had always felt funny, or uncomfortable around gay men. I can't explain why, but I think it was from judging them, and not loving unconditionally as I should. All men have sinned and fallen short of God's glory. I'm a sinner. Is my sin worse than a gay man's sin? If I can sin and call myself a Christian, why can't a gay man (or woman)? A week or so later, I reached out to a friend in need, and he ended up telling me he was gay. I was quite shocked, but also quite accepting. We ended up having a great talk, and a great time! Yes, God loves gays, too! *gasp* if the church would just love gays (or anyone else, for that matter), you would not be able to keep the gays our of the churches. It's not our job to try to change anyone, God does that! Our only responsibility is to love. It is the greatest commandment.

1 comment:

mike said...

I hope everything works out with your church.